Sunday, March 2, 2014

On 100 Days, Valentines, and Fancy Tables

 
On February 13, the Agents and I celebrated our 100th day of school. We added our 100th sticker to our 100 Days chart...

 
Took a picture in front of our 100 Numbers Wall...

 
Made crowns with 100 stickers on them, glasses out of the number 100, and necklaces using 100 beads...


 
Made a 100 Day snack bag using ten pieces of ten kinds of snacks...


 
Built a wall using 100 red plastic cups...


 
And made 'If I Were 100' posters, aging ourselves 100 years.


 
We also celebrated Valentine's day early, due to the possibility of a snowstorm on the 14th. We had our friends from LTCC Preschool come downstairs, and everyone passed out Valentines.
 

 
Even I got some!
 
 
 Agent J. and Miss Candace outdid themselves, giving the other Agents super nifty pencils with carefully selected animals on them. Agents M & V were very excited!
 
 
On February 15, the Agents and I took our show on the road and performed at Limington SDA Church. I'll be posting the video from this performance later on this week, so stay tuned!
 

 
It was also at this performance we debuted our very first 'commercial', made from an interview with the kids during National School Choice Week. Everyone loved it, and now you can love it too.
 
 
February 17 to February 22 was Winter Break, which - for those readers in unlucky Ohio - is a vacation week apparently unique to New England. My mother flew up for a visit on the 17th, and we spent the entire week undergoing a project that seemed easy at first but quickly grew into an unprecedented behemoth:  building new tables for the classroom. I prefer tables to desks, especially in small multigrade classrooms like my own, because they help conserve space and foster a sense of community among the students. The purple table we have been using for the past few months belongs to LTCC, and because they'll need it for their new preschool room when it gets up and running, I mentioned to my mother I'd need to find a new table somewhere.  I don't remember how it happened, but somewhere along the line she decided she would come build me one instead.
 
 
You'd think the easiest part would be buying the wood, but it was actually very tense. There were no blueprints for the tables we built. My mother simple IMed me a picture of a table and asked if I liked it, and when I said I loved it, she said 'okay' and that was that. When she got to Maine we printed off a picture of the table, went around measuring desks and chairs kids in chairs and the tables in the cafeteria, and researched the standard desk heights for kids from grades K-3 and 4-8. Then she drew some lines and numbers on the whiteboard and on the picture of the table and off we went. When we got to Home Depot more computing was needed to make sure we didn't buy a billion dollars worth of the wrong size wood. Watching my mother crunch numbers was like watching a race against time in an action thriller. After that, everything was smooth sailing.
 



Haha, just kidding. After that everything was barely controlled chaos.
 


 
But by Monday morning, by the grace of God and the sheer genius of my mother, we had these gorgeous tables! Just look at them in all their freshly stained glory!





The Agents were super excited, which made the whole week of work worth it tenfold. Since then we've had the opportunity to try the tables out with the older Afterschool Care kids and the LTCC Preschoolers, and I'm pleased to say the tables were a success with both!


 
Meanwhile, in the stairwell, my mother found time to begin our next project...
 
 
Thanks, mom, for being so fantastic and coming to my rescue with hammer and jigsaw!
 
Tune in next week to read about our Dr. Seuss and hygiene escapades!
 
God bless,
Mia
 

No comments:

Post a Comment